701. Tricia O'Connor, Right To Life, Truro, Nova Scotia
Hi, I found this very interesting and important. I want you to know that I talked about this issue in our Global Geography class today. Jesus gave His Life to show a more excellent way. We have lost sight of His Way, His Truth, and His Life. We must turn our eyes upon Him again, and He will give the power over death and hell.
702. Karyn Payne, Townsville QLD
Wonderful, very much an all-encompassing statement. It would be wonderful if all Australians were able to read this, and possess its values.
703. Ms Louise Megaloconomos Congo NSW
704. Alan Frakes, Light worker, Sydney NSW
705. Susan Grant, Private citizen, volunteer, Kensington NSW
706. Shriram Adhikari, Kathmandu, Bagmati INDIA
707. Rajan Daniel, Westmead NSW
708. Rachael Lahiff, Coburg VIC
I am horrified by what Australia does in my name to people seeking asylum. It is an abomination. I fully endorse the Australian People's Refugee Visa document as being an expression of my views as an Australian citezen. Let us fight to make this public policy in 2006.
709. Laura Cunningham, Sydney NSW
Well done. I hope Mr Howard reads this site too. The Government treats refugees abominably - we can (and must) do better!
710. Salah, Lyon, France
711. Isabel Ross, Arundel QLD
712. Susan Fiona Miles, Mt Tamborine QLD
An excellent document.
713. Subhada Das, Beaconsfield WA
714. Hr Korelage, Werribee, VIC
HELP THE PEOPLE!
715. Bruce Robertson, PSA, Bronte NSW
716. Elias Symeonakis, Shenton Park WA
717. Betty Birskys, Warana QLD
57 years ago my husband Antanas was one of the DP refugees who came to Australia and were welcomed here (on the whole, although my father would not go to our wedding). It was largely a male migration; many of the men married Australians and had families, my husband died three years ago; he would be shattered to see how we treat refugees now. I cannot help thinking of Nazi Germany when I think of Australia, now. What did Cardinal Niemuller say? 'I said nothing when they came for the gypsies, I said nothing when they came for the Jews, and when they came for me they was no one left to speak...'
718. Ann Fraser, Melbourne VIC
I have read and agree with the above letter, and a I am disappointed in the government's treatment of refugees.
719. Dean Uink, Swan View WA
No one gave little Johnny authority to treat people in this way. His advisers know no more than the rest of us, they are in a priveleged position, and clearly it has gone to their heads. All the people of Australia should be deciding on these important issues and Johnny and the other tosses can go back to being the wimpy people they are and having the absurd ideological notion that everything is fair and equal in Australia and the rest of the world. Great Draft.
720. Victoria Branson, Perth WA
What a huge difference this document could make to the lives of refugees.
721. Amy Jasper Brisbane QLD
722. Vic McEwan, Sydney NSW
723. Rebecah Skye Furze, Richmond NSW
Sounds great, let's hope that Australia will one day soon, become a country we can be proud to be a part of.
724. Louise Cross, Atherton QLD
725. Nikki Welsh, Leopold NSW
726. Suzanne Allen, Sydney NSW
727. Frances, Brighton VIC
I am learning about refugees at the moment in school, and what we are doing to them is atrocious. People are soo racist. They don't even consider things the hear the word REFUGEE they think "NO!!, they shouldn't come here"... But in fact, Australia is made up because of refugees. People from Ireland, England, Israel, India, PNG, France, Poland, Germany and so on. So, think about where you came from before you say DON'T LET THEM IN AUSTRALIA THEY ARN'T AUSSIE, because none of us are except Aboriginals and even they were once refugees.
728. Victor Sidorenko, Canberra ACT
Even if these Asylum seekers do not have a legitimate claim to be allowed to live in our country, it is not our right to have them forcefully detained in such appaling conditions for such long periods of time.
729. Belinda Coates, Ballarat VIC
730. Dianne Tavakoli, Project SafeCom Inc, Perth WA
731. Alice Drew, Prahran VIC
732. Michael Hunt, Morwell VIC
I agree completely, send the people home - - - I mean leave them here!
733. Chris Stall, Sydney NSW
We need mandatory detention as a means of policing entrants into our society. However, the conditions refugees are kept in are inhumane and need to be addressed. Mandatory detention should not apply to children.
734. Sapphira Toh, Indooroopilly QLD
735. Jan McDonald, Canowindra NSW
736. Mandy Kiely, Perth WA
I wholeheartedly agree with everything in this discussion paper. the suggestions should be implemented asap.
737. Simon Tufrey, Armidale NSW
738. Jennifer Tranter, Carrara QLD
If only this document could be a reality!
739. Dan Music, Melbourne VIC
That's more like it!
740. Laura, Canberra ACT
741. Gemeda, Addis Abeba, Shewa, Ethiopia
742. Robert Burtonclay, Catholic Parish, Tallangatta VIC
These people are beautiful gifts ... and they need this country to unfold them, enrich us all and above all, come to know the joy of who they are. Thank you for this opportunity.
743. Dayle, Abingdon, Oxfordshire
744. Gemma Walker, Perth WA
745. Rosemary Horton, Anglican Australian, Perth
746. Halinka Rubin, Fitzroy Learning Network, Melbourne VIC
747. Jonathan Bentley, Canberra ACT
748. Jacob Mills, Sydney NSW
How can the Australian government possibly leave these people out in the cold? When they have nothing? Why aren't we treating them like humans not animals?
749. Dian Moncrieff, Casino NSW
750. Norm Bernard, Brigadoon WA
So Georgiou and Moylan it's REBELS you are,
Now tainted and branded in our media.
The bulk of your party likes children in jails,
Treated better they'd be if instead they were whales.
So REBELS you be, not in step, not in fashion,
Daring change laws, include truth and compassion.
Don t worry dear REBELS, your cause we applaud,
You fed Me, You clothed Me are words of the Lord.
Amanda and John prefer kids behind bars,
Not Judi and Petros, they're no REBELS, they're STARS.
On this issue alone if you stick with John Howard,
Be happy to wear, classed a fool and or coward.
Cross the floor when you vote, there's no ifs and no buts,
PROVE you're a TRUE BLUE and you ve still got the guts.
That way we can stay proud and not be a failure,
Show the whole bloody world, we are FAIR AUSTRALIA.
751. Lyn Prince, RAR, Christmas Island, Indian Ocean Territory
Luv it! Down with with mandatory detention. Down with John Howards disgusting lies. Educate in schools the truth about asylum seekers.
752. Anthony Richards, Toronto Canada
If anybody wants to come, we welcome asylum seekers in Canada
753. Robert Gunter, Red Hill VIC
I like to think I can hold my head high as an Australian. We must not avert our attention from the injustices perpetrated by our selectively legalistic Conservative Federal Government.
754. Jan Fraser, Adelaide SA
755. Anton Kajlich, Maleny QLD
756. Dianne Horsburgh, Kuranda QLD
This government's treatment of asylum seekers is shameful.
757. David Jones, Perth
Treat the refugees fairly!!
758. Frank Golding, Kensington VIC
I was locked up for more than 10 years as a child becuase the authorities disapproved of my parents. Have we learned nothing about this crime against children?
759. Tracey Taylor, Kipparing QLD
760. Marina Leeman, Roselands NSW
761. Anne Foston, Frankston South VIC
762. Tracy Barakat, Miranda NSW
I am glad to be able to sign this document because I feel ashamed to belong to a species which treats its poor and underprivileged like chattels to be bought and sold. I feel privileged to be able to something however small to help. "Everybody counts or nobody counts".
763. LMA Welfare Office, Lebanese Moslem Association Sydney NSW
764. Eman Dandan, Sydney NSW
765. Eliane B, Canberra ACT
766. Nikola Balvin, Researchers for Asylum Seekers, Melbourne VIC
767. Ellie, Sydney NSW
Everybody has a right to be free. Nobody should be locked up. They have done nothing but want to be free from a war-torn country so they can live in peace ... and this is their treatment! Why is this happening?!!!!
768. Claudia, Sydney NSW
Refugees should have equal rights because we are all the children of god
769. Georgia Orr, Sydney NSW
Everyone has rights, don't bag them out
770. Jill, Sydney NSW
771. Mario van Antwerpen, Mt Gambier SA
772. Angus Roland Holliday, Townsville QLD
773. Mark Bonte, Melbourne VIC
It is wonderful to see the support of this document by the number of signatures. I do hope the rest of Australia can find a love of humanity.
774. Tarryn Thompson, Murwillumbah NSW
775. Ella Hemsley, Perth WA
776. Kara Smith, Bendigo VIC
777. Patrice Vallet, Croydon Park NSW
778. Tarek, Haifa, Israel
779. Lulu Kenzig, Africa Connect & Pearl Children of Uganda, Yanchep WA
Grew up in the area - am involved with refugees and others who are treated so unfairly and sent back with no reason other than they don't have enough money ... So much wasted talent and gifts, and no understanding. The immigration staffer has a bad day and 'bam!' - stamped and refused; forever lost in the wilderness of trying to get into our lucky (albeit ignorant) country....
780. Jacinta Ewers, Adelaide SA
This is a great idea. It will go far, and I hope it does. Good luck :)
781. Rachel Fitzpatrick, Lawyer, Melbourne VIC
782. Luke Piotrowicz, Newcastle NSW
783. Tim Marshall, Broken Hill NSW
My Father, Frank Golding was treated for many years in sub-humane conditions in an orphanage as a child. Through his stories, he made me aware of a child's pain and suffering. I wish for his sake, and those of children worldwide, that their pain should not be kept a secret or continue. We in the twenty-first century say that we are civilised? Come on guys! How can we turn a blind eye to the pain and suffering of children? Equality and fairness for all. United we stand, divided we fall.
784. Catherine Halmai, Gold Coast QLD
Put the energy into rebuilding the lives of these affected victims!
785. Rachel Hackwill, Canberra ACT
786. Jordan Amor-Robertson, Perth WA
This is a just and compassionate alternative to the current situation
787. Anne Martin, NSW Education Sydney NSW
As a compassionate Australian I can no longer tolerate the way our government treats people in detention and those seeking protection from injustices in their country of birth.
788. Dr Jan Elliott, Mosman NSW
I fully endorse the Visa Document
789. Katrina Weinrich, Mount Martha VIC
I am so ashamed of this government's treatment of refugees who come to this country. I hope that one day soon we have a government who will embrace refugees who come to this country and treat them with the care and respect that they deserve.
790. Corrina McNamee, Perth WA
791. Yulanji Bardon, Brisbane QLD
792. Jack Singh, Sydney NSW
One thing that amazes me is that the refugees of previous era's want to keep new-comers out!
793. David Booth, Free Bywong, Bywong NSW
794. Sam Abercromby, Santarem Portugal
Everything has changed from being a great fair country to the latest state of "the united disgrace of america" ... could it be that this Prime Minister Howard ... was brainwashed while he slept at the White House? ... How did you all let him take you on the terrible path that he chose for you?? Were you all sleeping in the great down under dreamtime?? Fostered out of your minds?? God help you if one day you are refugees ... !
795. Mary Lazdins, Queensland University, Brighton QLD
This is the mindset the government should have! The current treatment of refugees is completely contradictory to our ideas of a fair go and innocent before proven guilty.
796. Caitlin Gilheany, Melbourne VIC
797. Meegan Cooper, Brisbane QLD
798. Rajan Daniel, Westmead NSW
799. Nerida Jones, Herne Hill VIC
800. Vera Shaul, Burnside SA